RE: Not grokking keys...

Subject: RE: Not grokking keys...
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:58:48 +0100
> Anyone care to explain, or give an example of the usage of
> keys? The spec description of keys just isn't clicking wiht me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

The match and name attributes are fairly obvious:

xsl:key(match="Employee|Contractor" name="SSN") says I want to be able to
find Employee and Contractor elements using their SSN attribute. (It seems a
key has to be an attribute, we can't find things using the value of child
elements).

It's the "use" attribute that's thoroughly obscure. I've stared at it but
can't see why it's there, let alone why it's mandatory.

Mike Kay

PS: Do I grok "grok" correctly? - I'm doing a lot of guessing of semantics
at the moment.