Re: <xsl:script> and <xsl:eval>

Subject: Re: <xsl:script> and <xsl:eval>
From: Steve Dahl <sdahl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 19:04:17 -0400
Duane Nickull wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Steve Dahl wrote:
> >
> > What is it that <xsl:script> amd <xsl:eval> do, that <xsl:functions>
> > (Section 6.4.2) and extension functions (Section 6.2.7) don't do, or don't
> > do well?
> >
> I am sorry but I couldn't find a section 6.4.2 or 6.2.7 of the xsl WD.
> Am I looking in the wrong place???:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl/

Sorry--I should have been more precise. Try this one instead:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xslt-19990421

It's the specification of XSLT, which you can reach using the hyperlink in
section 2 of the current WD.

> I am not familiar with <xsl:functions> and can't wait to dive in and
> compare.  FYI - I have links to the MS page which describes the two
> rogue tags <xsl:script> is at
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/reference/xsl/xsl_script.asp
>
> and <xsl:eval> is at
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/reference/xsl/xsl_eval.asp
>
> I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the differences between the
> capabilities and shortcomings of the three tags.

As far as I can tell, <xsl:functions> is a fairly close mapping to <xsl:script>,
and extension functions, plus the new mathematical and string operators, do a
large portion of what <xsl:eval> did. The proof of the pudding would be in
actually translating existing pages that use <xsl:eval> into the new syntax--I'm
not ready to take a position on the relative merits of the tags, since I've
never needed them.

--
- Steve Dahl
sdahl@xxxxxxxxxxx