Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: agreene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew Greene)
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 06:29:48 -0400
   From: Miles Sabin <msabin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

   It's not that I doubt the _intelligence_ of (most importantly)
   graphic designers, I just doubt that they'll have either the time
   or the inclination to learn how to be programmers.

But isn't that the whole point? With XSL (or a similar approach) they
don't have to learn procedural programming. I mean, even if they don't
have a GUI, it's a lot simpler to write

  <xsl:apply-templates select="section/heading" />

or even (let's assume they're going to HTML)

  <ol>
   <xsl:for-each select="section">
    <li><xsl:apply-templates select="heading"></li>
   </xsl:for-each>
  </ol>

than to start with ECMAscript and the DOM, if all they want to do is
extract the section headings.

Disclaimer: Although a member of the XSL-WG and Bitstream, this message
does not necessarily speak for either.