Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: Fredrik Lindgren <f.lindgren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 17:13:27 +0200

Miles Sabin wrote:

> Fredrik Lindgren wrote,
> > What about XML as the model, FO as view and XSLT as
> > controler? I guess we can't use that though as it's
> > the same as using XML/XSL ;-)
>
> If you can do that, fine. Can you? Examples?
>
> Cheers,

The task of presenting XML documents can't easily be mapped to
traditional GUI programming IMO. The point I intended to make was that
XSLT could be seen as something that binds my data model (the source XML
document) to the view (presentation oriented software constructs such as
FO:s, HTML elements or anything else that has presentation semantics).

I would not suggest using XML/FO/XSLT as M/V/C for an interactive
editing environment. For generating a _static_ view from the document
data I sure think that XSLT meets my current needs as the connecting
software layer.

Fredrik Lindgren
Upright engineering AB