RE: XML/XSL and ASP/IIS

Subject: RE: XML/XSL and ASP/IIS
From: "Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM" <steven.livingstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:16:37 +0100
Hi James -

the question I have is that if you<magic/> stuff does work, it would still
be embedded and it looks like in one place only - the advantages of script
is that you could replace the XSL directly -

-> for example, you could use <magic/> to get back a recordset from a
database and then use script within the XSL to populate it.

The example I work with is that you find from a database that a user is
Italian and wants info in Italian - there is one XML doc like

===========================
 <language>
	<italian>
		Ciao Mondo !
	</italian>
	<english>
		Hello World !
	</english>
</language>
===========================

and so you could have and XSL style (parsed as ASP) like :

===========================
<%language=**select from database** %>

<xsl:template match="<%=language%>">
	<xsl:apply-tenmplates/>
</xsl:template>
===========================

This allows you to have a simple single stylesheet to account for any
language additions youmay *ever* make.

What do you think??

Anyone from Microsoft there?? What is going to be used to cater for this in
the future?

Duane's product seems to do the same thing for non IIS web servers - pretty
cool...

cheers
steven

Join Association of Internet Professionals - http://www.citix.com/aip