Re: parsing

Subject: Re: parsing
From: Richard Light <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:09:51 +0100
In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9906152257190.41119-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Chuck Robey <chuckr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>I'm futzing about with james Clark's sp (his API) and Norm Walsh's
>DocBook in xml, with the intent, sooner or later, of using XSLT to do
>markup conversion.
>
>My first step, getting sp to parse a docbook marked up document, isn't
>working, because nsgmls is outputting reams of errors like:
>
>nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook.xml/dbpoolx.mod:653:34:E:
>omitted tag minimization parameter can be omitted only if
> "OMITTAG NO" is specified on the SGML declaration
>
>[I added cariage returns to aid readability]
>
>It's my understanding that OMITTAGS doesn't really apply to xml, because
>xml's rules are set ... and there isn't any sgml declaration in an xml
>document where I could place the OMITTAGS thing anyhow.  I was suprised,
>in Norm's xml dtd, there isn't even an <?xml ... ?> declaration.
>
>Am I right here?  Is this a bug in my understanding, or maybe a feature
>that must be added to sp?  Please help, I'm learning here.

If you are processing XML using SGML tools, you have to follow the rules
of both to get anywhere.

In other words, you can treat your (valid) XML document as an SGML
document, and get it to parse, but only if you follow the SGML approach
and provide an SGML Declaration with appropriate settings for XML.
There is a suitable declaration in the SP distribution (xml.dcl).

(You don't have to physically add the declaration to your document: you
can declare it on the nsgmls command line before the document name and
nlsgmls will concatenate them for you.)

Richard Light.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx