RE: XSLT vs JSP

Subject: RE: XSLT vs JSP
From: "Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM" <steven.livingstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 10:42:36 +0100
	>Second reason is output format.  JSP is primarily designed to
output HTML
	>which is different enough from XML to be problematic.

If JSP is like ASP, then I think you misunderstand their purpose. ASP is
designed to integrate all areas of technology, including (in my case anyway)
everything from COM objects to XML to produce what ever format you want (ASP
can be used to output Excel, Word documents to name but a few). Now, I'm not
sure how JSP and XML work together, but I have found great use in using ASP
+ Personalization COM object + XSL to produce a customized XML page.

I don't know what techniques are available within XML itself to do this
(none?), but I don't think that we should have XML etc... on one side and
all of the other web technologies, such as COM on the other - I like the
idea of using ASP to integrate them all.

I won't bore you with the details, but if the XSL (or XML) page is parsed by
the ASP engine, then the <%'s are interpreted as this is what the parser
looks for - the <'s are ignored (at least that's what I have found).
Otherwise all of the <'s in current ASP's would be interpreted also.

I don't think ASP should *be* XML though - it isn't currently HTML. But
then, I dynamically create my style sheets and not the XML docs, so there
may be differences.

Cheers
Steven

Steven Livingstone