Re: stylesheets for stylesheets (was Re: Swapping table rows and columns)

Subject: Re: stylesheets for stylesheets (was Re: Swapping table rows and columns)
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:25:46 +0200
From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>When I've thought about doing something similar for XSL than what I've done
>for DSSSL, recognizing that I don't have architectural forms, the following
>points have made up a wish list of features for XSL (unfortunately, since
>the last working draft is supposed to be "feature complete" I've resisted
>the temptation to formally submit these as suggestions;  I had submitted
>two other suggestions for a "future wish list" and they were misinterpreted
>as requests for the current version).
>
>What I'd like to see (any one of the following, ordered in increasing
>flexibility):
>
> (list of features)

It seems all of these can be achieved by passing the XSLT stylesheet through
an "tangling" XSLT stylesheet. True, it would be nice if you could skip that
phase, but literate programming in general has to accept that "source" files
need to be passed through such a phase to become runnable code. I don't see
why XSLT should be different in this regard. Consider JavaDoc - they've also
tried to embed the documentation inside valid Java sources, with the result
they ended up with a system which isn't anywhere near as powerfull/useful as
literate programming tools.

Have fun,

    Oren.