Q: XSLT: conversion: string variable to selection pattern

Subject: Q: XSLT: conversion: string variable to selection pattern
From: Aaron Fischer <fischer17@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:15:36 -0700
I am using XSLT;  I have a <xsl:param-variable> which is a string.  I want
to directly apply this variable's value as my template selection pattern;
i.e:

<xml:template name="myTemplate" match="$myString">

The above syntax doesn't work;  is there a way to explicitly convert my
string variable into
a reference pattern (i'm not sure what difference there is between the two,
aside from named type)

Also:  I'm assuming some explicit string-to-pattern conversion must exist,
because I also have the following conflict:  In applying <xsl:value-of
select="$myString">, in some cases I want to output the value of my
variable;  others, I want to output the text node content at the cell with
the same name as the value of my string variable;

all help appreciated,

Aaron