RE: boolean attribute values

Subject: RE: boolean attribute values
From: Imran Rashid <imranr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:08:26 -0500
>> Really, all I'm asking is, I want something to happen when a certain
>> attribute is set to true (and something to happen when it is
>> set to false).
>
>I assume you mean, you want something to happen when it is set to "true"
>(since the value of an attribute is a string, not a boolean).
>
>Then write:
><xsl:if test="@att='true'">

OK.  I thought that you might be able to write something like:
<xsl:if test="@att">
because in a lot of languages, you can do an if statement where you
direclty pass it a true/false value and you can skip the statement where
you check equality.  But you're saying in XSL, you can't.

Doesn't all of this disagree with David Carlisle's message, though?
<quote>
an attribute
being read as an xpath/xslt expression there is a difference between
select="true" and
select="'true'"
the former being the logical true and the second being the string of
'true'.

so <xsl:if test="false"> will take the false branch, but
<xsl:if test="'false'"> will take the true branch
</quote>

or is he saying that its only treated as an xpath/xslt expression when it
is typed into the "select" or "test" attribute -- *not* when it accessed
through @att?