outputting HTML á etc.

Subject: outputting HTML á etc.
From: bbrosenstock@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
I'm sure it's embarrassingly simple, but nevertheless a question
about outputting escape characters like á for HTML
has me stumped. My xml document instance conforms to the recent
xml-ized TEI DTD. I use in an internal declaration (I will make
them part of my DTD once it works right) the following sort
of entity declarations

<!ENTITY ii "&#x0ED;"><!-- entity decl. for unicode i with acute -->
<!ENTITY oo "&#x0f3;"><!-- entity decl. for unicode o with acute -->

I am transcribing tapes, so I need something simpler to type out than
the unicode escape sequence (&ii; is much easier than &#x0ED;).  My
document instance parses (XP) without problem, and SAXON outputs an
HTML file as per my XSL specs, rendering &ii; as &#x0ED; in the output
file. This would be fine, if I could count on all user agents having a
unicode font in place; better would be if I could output &iacute;. If
I declare "&iacute;" in place of "&#x0ED;" in my entity decl., the
parser says I am using an undeclared entity in my document (expanding
the entity it finds a non-XML conformant entity for i acute). I am sure
I am missing something very basic here. Help (and tolerance for a
newbie) is much appreciated.

Bruce Rosenstock
Religious Studies and Classics
Project Manager, Folk Literature of the Sephardic Jews Digital Library