Limitations of attribute value templates

Subject: Limitations of attribute value templates
From: Samuel Yang <syang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:57:51 -0700
Can someone explain why the XSLT draft does not support the use of attribute
value templates for these types of attributes:

(1) attributes whose value is an expression or pattern
(2) attributes that refer to named XSLT objects
(3) attributes of top-level elements

It seems like removing these restrictions, especially (1) and (2), would
make coding XSLT much easier.  I and my colleagues are spending a lot of
time trying to work around them.

I'm sure that these restrictions were not arrived at arbitrarily, but I'd
feel better if I just understood why they are needed.

Samuel C. Yang
syang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:syang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>