Re: Search methods for DOM...

Subject: Re: Search methods for DOM...
From: "Steve Muench" <SMUENCH@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jul 1999 07:18:44 -0700
If you're using a XML Parser which supports an
integrated XSLT engine, then on any Node of your
XML Tree, you can typically use XSL Patterns
(recently renamed to "XPath expressions") to
do sophisticated in-memory searches using the
same familiar notation you have learned for
XSLT transformations.

The two I am aware of which support this are
Oracle's XML Parser "V2" (v2.0.0.0.1) which you
can get at http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml,
as well as the MSXML parser.

Using the Oracle XML "v2" Parser you can do something like:

 NodeList nl = myNode.selectNodes("/this/that[somecondition], myNode);

To get back a node list of matching "that" elements
which occur as children of "this" elements and
which have "somecondition" being true.

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Dev't Team
BC4J: http://technet.oracle.com/product/tools/appjava/info/techwp20/wp.html
 XML: http://www.oracle.com/xml