Re: XT outputs unusual HTML4 escape chars

Subject: Re: XT outputs unusual HTML4 escape chars
From: "Larry Mason" <Larry_Mason@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:29:03 -0500

<xsl:stylesheet
  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";
  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
  result-ns="">

<xsl:template match="data">
<TD></TD>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

By including the 2nd xmlns, xt will preserve the <td></td>.  Without it, xt
produces <td/>

bbrosenstock@xxxxxxxxxxx on 07/30/99 01:08:38 PM

Please respond to xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:   XSL-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:    (bcc: Larry Mason/Dallas/US/i2Tech)
Subject:  XT outputs unusual HTML4 escape chars

As per recommendation, I placed a result-ns attribute in my
xml:stylesheet element, specificying the URI for REC-html40, and ran
the xml plus stylesheet through XT rather than SAXON (which continued
to output the unicode escape characters in the xml doc instance
(&#x0ED; for a with an i acute, e.g.). Something did indeed happen,
but the output was unexpected. In place of the hoped-for &iacute; in
the source, I get two characters, namely, xc3 (hex) followed by xad
(hex) (on the Mac this source looks like a square-root symbol and a
not-equal symbol), which outputs HTML as capital-A with tilde and
capital I with acute.

One further XT/SAXON difference I noticed: when I wanted <TD></TD> in my
output (no content), it gives me <TD/> (SAXON outputs <TD></TD>),
which the browser (IE4 on the Mac) does not read, thus messing up
the table. If I were to rely on XT I know that I could put in a
non-breaking space to overcome this, but I just wanted to mention
it.

So, my question is: how do I get XT to output the correct character,
and, is there a way to get SAXON to output normalized HTML for such
characters?

Bruce Rosenstock
Religious Studies and Classics
Project Manager, Folk Literature of the Sephardic Jews Digital Library
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA