RE: XSL controversy

Subject: RE: XSL controversy
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 11:13:38 +0100 (BST)
James Robertson writes:

 > I produce 10,000 HTML files (one per topic), that
 > are extensively cross-linked, with tables of contents,
 > navigation bars, and supporting files.
 > Of course, all of this has to work quickly
 > and efficiently, with a minimum performance
 > load on the machine ...
 > Does this help you to get a sense of real-world
 > "funky" transformation?

No, because I would assume that this is the sort of job XSL would
handle straightforwardly. As of today, the performance may be lagging
behind, and the multiple result trees are not standard, but the
application in general seems to me to be in XSL's domain.

I take James Clark's point:

> *not* to do this.  A key part of educating people about XSLT should be
> to educate them about when to use it and when not to use it.

but I am not sure I have a good sense of the "when" and the "when not"
yet. James' examples help (particularly "if your transformation is
doing complex transformations on the text content of the document",
which I can relate to)

Sebastian