Re: applying all rules in a mode

Subject: Re: applying all rules in a mode
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:02:52 -0400 (EST)
At 10 Aug 1999 22:48 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 > Tony Graham writes:
 >  >  > only to children of the current node. Unless each of your "toc"
 >  >  > templates has a recursive `apply-templates mode="toc"', it will not
 >  >  > propagate downwards
 >  >
 >  > That was true but isn't anymore.  Section 6.8 of the current working
 >  > draft defines a built-in template rule for each mode.
 >
 > hmm. it applies "in the absence of a successful pattern match by an
 > explicit template rule". I read that as meaning that if you have a
 > `normal' rule for a "<foo>", then the default for the mode will not
 > apply?

Maybe I have it backwards, but maybe that's because I started at the
back.  Appendix E, Changes from Previous Public Working Draft, says:

   When there is no matching template rule in a mode, then the
   built-in template rules now continue processing in that same mode
   (see [6.8 Built-in Template Rules]).

I think I read that before I read Section 6.8, hence my
interpretation.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632