output method (discussion)

Subject: output method (discussion)
From: vidarg@xxxxxx (Vidar B. Gundersen)
Date: 19 Aug 1999 10:32:42 +0200
Using the 'text' output method, the result tree is no longer an XML
document -- technically speaking, as it was in the old days (before
the xslt-19990813 specification).

So the way I understand it, the <xsl:output method="xml|html|text">
implies a major change for XSLT: It does no longer consider only tree
transformation, but also _full_ conversion to non-XML formats.

What if I use XSLT to write LaTeX code? In that case, I need to handle
the reserved charactes by escaping them:
    $ & % # _ { } ~ ^ \
So if the converter (might be the XSLT engine) encounter an &amp;
(XML) it should not write & (text), but something like {\&}.

What is a good way of handling this?
1. Should a 'latex' output method be a part of XSLT?
2. ...or will the 'text' output method suit all native formats, so it
   is a correct approach to use a script afterwards to clean up the
   code?
3. ...or a general 'native' output method which reads a list of
   reserved characters and an escape character, e.g.:
   <xsl:output method='native'
               reserved-chars="$ & % # _ { } ~ ^ \"
               escape-char="\" />

--