xsl:for-each within an element?

Subject: xsl:for-each within an element?
From: Rich Gazan <richg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:00:34 -0700
I have a whole mess of semicolon-delimited input that looks like this:

<field>thing1; thing2;...thingn</field>

I'm trying to transform it to this:

<field>thing1</field>
<field>thing2</field>
etc...

I can make it work by using substring-before(text(),';') to get the
first instance, declaring an xsl:variable of
substring-after(text(),';'), then repeating the process for each named
variable until I've nibbled away all the semicolons.  But this way I
have to write each iteration explicitly, to cover as many as 20 'thing'
occurrences when there are usually far less than that.  This seems like
a job for xsl:for-each, but each time I try, XT reminds me that element
substrings aren't node-sets.  All ideas appreciated, and apologies if
I'm missing something obvious.

Rich Gazan