extending xsl:include and xsl:import?

Subject: extending xsl:include and xsl:import?
From: "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:13:07 -0700
currently, xsl:include and xsl:import only take a URI literal.
is it just me, or wouldn't it be sometimes convenient to be
able to select sets of templates in external files based on
something in the XML document being processed?
obviously in many cases this would not make sense, because
the template patterns themselves represent conditional application.

The XML document can specify an xml-stylesheet PI, but I'd rather
not hard-code the various ways i might want to (re)organize
my stylesheets into some convention whereby each document
knows the most-specific stylesheet it should use, and declares
that one in the PI, and that stylesheet then pulls in everything
else.

I'm pretty sure I'm not expressing this well.

-mda