multiple special characters in XML

Subject: multiple special characters in XML
From: regan@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:26:06 -0700
Hi all,
	I have never had a good grasp of special character handling but was
able to get by until now...
	I hope some kind soul here will help with my current crises
	We have an application that takes sections of user generated HTML
files, embeds these sections into a large XML file, then later, when
requested, generates an HTML file from the XML and a XSL file (using XT).
Our users have started introducing funny characters into the HTML (OK, what
happens is they use Microsoft Word to introduce the funny characters and
Word does the conversion to HTML, and we end up with "é" or some such
in our HTML - then our XML)
	To handle this example I can add <!ENTITY eacute "é"> to the XML
header. But then if they add something else cute tomorrow I am stuck with
bad XML again, until I add a new declaration.
	I could add all possible declarations now and have huge XML
documents (We store 1000s of them)	Alternatively I could look for all
the referenced entities and construct an appropriate header for each
document, which seems like a lot of overhead when they seldom add such
things.
	But, are these the only answers? Surely there is a way to reference
these special characters as they are listed in other documents available on
the net?
	Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Regan Gill