Re: fo:inline-sequence

Subject: Re: fo:inline-sequence
From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:43:42 -0700
You may put any inherited property on any node allowed within fo:flow or
fo:static-content (including on fo:inline-sequence).

There is a line that states that the DTD does not reflect the allowed
places where you may specify (set) a property, only where the property is
actually used. (This has caused great confusion since most people do not
use a DTD in this manner. Therefore, we are looking at an alternate way to
describe where porperties are applied/used [vs. where they may be assigned
in the FO-tree].)

In the April draft, the field identifying which properties are inherited vs
non-inherited was not propagated to the final document. We plan to correct
this production problem in the next draft. -- For the CSS-derived
properties you can typically rely on the "inherited/not-inherited"
designation in the CSS-2 specification. This will identify which are
inherited and which are not for most of the font-related,
paragraph-layout-related, & rendering-related properties.

At 10:51 1999-09-03 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi XSL-List'ers,
>
>I'm having trouble understanding fo:inline-sequence.  I was under the
>impression that it is used to group several inline formatting objects and
>specify common properties (like font) to be used for all of them.  However,
>in the April WD, the only property defined for it is "id".  The WD says the
>following:
>
>The fo:inline-sequence has no properties that are directly used by it.
>However, it does serve as a carrier to hold inheritable properties that are
>utilized by its children.
>
>So where are these inheritable properties specified?
>
>Oren Hadar
>Application Designer
>Interleaf, Inc.
>781/768-1082
>ohadar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail reflects the opinion of the Editor of the XSL (formatting
   objects) Specification. This is my interpretation of the
   current (majority) opinion of the portion of the XSL-WG that
   is working on formatting objects. It may not reflect the opinions
   of all members of the XSL-WG or even of all members of the portion
   of the WG that is working on the formatting objects. It is subject
   to change.
Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
official position of Adobe Systems, Inc.
  Stephen Deach                       |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)               |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                  |  Mail Stop E15-420
  sdeach@xxxxxxxxx                    |  345 Park Ave
  xsl-editors@xxxxxx                  |  San Jose, CA 95110-2704