Re: XSL output question

Subject: Re: XSL output question
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:30:51 +0100 (BST)
> I have an XML file that is encoding both with ISO-8859-1 and ISO-8859-2
> characters using external entities declaration (ISOlat1.pen and ISOlat2.pen).

> 1/ What is the value of the 'encoding' attribute within the XML
> declaration ?
You can use none as then the default utf8 encoding is used (which is what
you are using here)

> 2/ How could we generate an HTML file encoding in UTF-8 using an XSL
> stylesheet from this XML file ?
Most HTML browsers can't handle utf8, can they?

> Here is the declaration of the XML file :

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE TEI.2 [
<!ENTITY % ISOlat1 SYSTEM "/local/led/share/dtd/pen/ISOlat1.pen">
%ISOlat1;
<!ENTITY % ISOlat2 SYSTEM "/local/led/share/dtd/pen/ISOlat2.pen">
%ISOlat2;
]>

So this XML file is utf8 encoded, but probably you are only using the
first ascii-compatible block of utf8.

The entity files do not affect the _encoding_ they just give entity
references to named characters, with definitions as unicode character
numbers.

iso latin1 does not change the encoding of the file, it just defines,
for example

&eacute;

which it defines to be &#233; (or equivalently &#xE9;) You could
use this numeric character reference, or directly enter the unicode
character number 233 without needing to load the entity file.
The entity file only defines entity references .

The XSL engine doesn't really care whether you load these entity files
or not, whether you type &eacute; or  &#233; or é it always sees the
same character <Unicode-233> after the XMl parser has processed the
input document.

If you tell your xsl processor that you want to output HTML
put

<xsl:stylesheet
  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";>

<xsl:output method="html" />

at the top and then it should just `do the right thing'with HTML
characters.

David