expressing DTDs with UML

Subject: expressing DTDs with UML
From: "Sam.Walker" <Sam.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 13:48:50 +0100
I have recently discovered what I consider quite a useful means of
expressing DTDs. I found that UML class diagrams could quite accurately
capture the information in a DTD. It seems to also permit more constraining
definitions on the tag list. I have always found it very boring and hard
reading to actually browse a dtd document, and I still don't really
understand the syntax. I don't know if this has come up before, or if there
are already tools out there, but I thought it was worth a mention.
A UML - DTD mapping:
package - document type
class - a tag
attribute - a tag parameter
association - hyperlink
aggregation - allows expression of tag hierachy e.g. <car> ... <wheel
location="left_rear"></wheel></car>
inheritance - a means for sharing / inheriting attributes, relationships

I haven't discovered a use for methods yet! However, these could form part
of the XSL definition perhaps.
Ideally the end result would be using a standard UML editor, with two
buttons "generate XSL", "generate DTD" button.

Sam
ANRITSU LTD
_/_/_/  Sam Walker  _/_/_/
    Software Developer