Help with modes in XSL

Subject: Help with modes in XSL
From: "Brian Parkinson" <parki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:39:07 -0400
Hello:

I have a problem, and have seen the thread on mode's, but I'd like to get a
nice clean (and comprehensible to me :-) solution to it. I am writing an XSL
file to convert to HTML, and I'd like to be able to output a set of HREF
links at the top of the file to a group of elements, and then process each
element one by one, transforming each one into some HTML representation and
for each one, to throw in a <A name="..."> tag so that the links at the top
of the file link down to each element. So, it seems that I want two
templates - one to output the top HREF links, and then another to process
each element. How should I do this?

It seems like I want to do:

<...>
<xsl:template match="/">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"/>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<!-- here's where I want to output the HREF links -->
<xsl:apply-templates/>

<!-- here's where I want to output the element info -->
<xsl:apply-templates/>
<xsl:>
<BODY>
<P/>
</HTML>
<...>

I want to have two templates that match on the same element and have each
one called. From reading the docs, this looks like a use for 'mode' but I
don't quite grok what is going on, and I am sure that there is some swell
way to do this.

Help is greatly appreciated.

I'm a little new to all of this.

Many thanks,