Re: What will be the future improvements of XSLT?

Subject: Re: What will be the future improvements of XSLT?
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:16:31 +0200
Tangi Vass wrote:
> I’ve read with great interest the discussion between Oren Ben-Kiki
> and James Clark on the weaknesses of XSLT and I would very much
> appreciate a summary/conclusion on these points to know what features
> I can expect to be present in future releases of XSLT.

Some extensions mentioned in this list are (I expect I missed a few):

- Definining a standard namespace for arbitrary non-XML output, along the
lines implemented in XT.
- Providing a compact syntax for invoking named templates.
- Defining functions using XSLT constructs.
- A standard inteface for extending XSLT via JavaScript, Java etc.
- A looping construct (this does not mean mutable variables!).
- Removing the restrictions on result tree fragment operations.
- Making variables mutable.
- Multi input/output document support.

These issues range from trivial syntax sugar to serious paradigm shifts in
the way XSLT works. Of course, at this late stage, issues it might be
practical to incorporate into XSLT 1.0 are the trivial and hence less
important ones. As for XSLT 2.0, nobody can say with any confidence what
will or will not be included - and anyway XSLT 2.0 is very far in the
future.

The current state of affairs is adequate for most needs. What we need is to
roll the recommendation out the door, so we can start _using_ it properly.
I'd love to see a real XSLT processor built into IE, for example, instead of
MSXSLT, but MS will not do it unless there's a final recommendation.

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki