RE: XSL processor to handle large Database

Subject: RE: XSL processor to handle large Database
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:48:31 +0100
>I am looking for recommendations for a XSL processor to use with a large
XML document, in >excess of 100 meg, where memory is an issue.

Once upon a time SAXON supported "serial style sheets" to address this
requirement. I dropped them because it was distorting the code structure too
much, but I've bene looking for ways of putting something similar back.

Essentially I don't think "full XSL" can be done on a document this size. In
practice the document has to be held in memory, and will almost certainly
require at least 10 times the original document size to support all the
pointers etc. There are also many XSL features whose performance will tend
to be worse than O(document size).

I'd recommend you look at filtering the document through a SAX filter before
applying the stylesheet.

Mike Kay