RE: xmlns invalid? xt or XSLT problem?

Subject: RE: xmlns invalid? xt or XSLT problem?
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:26:17 -0600
> Producing an html output from xml, I get the
> doctype and html elements as follows:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>
> nsgmls tells me that according to the DTD specified,
> there is no attribute xmlns.

Here is my guess. xmlns, like all attributes that start with "xml", is an
attribute that only has meaning in XML documents. An HTML 4.0 document is
not necessarily an XML document, so nsgmls is not wrong if it only uses the
HTML DTD for validation. The HTML 4.0 Transitional DTD does not allow xmlns
as an attribute of <html>.

> am I wrong in putting
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
>       xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";
>       xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
>   result-ns=""
>   indent-result="yes"
>   default-space="preserve">
>   <xsl:output method="html" encoding="utf-8"/>
>
> at the top of my stylesheet.

The result-ns attribute is no longer with us, and defaulting unprefixed
elements to a non-null namespace URI is causing the extraneous xmlns to
appear in the output <html>. It's still not completely clean, but James is
erring on the side of caution by handling it this way.