Re: Is fo:block an area-container?

Subject: Re: Is fo:block an area-container?
From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 11:28:00 -0700
fo:block is NOT an area-container.

However, writing-mode is used by fo:block to determine all the progression
directions and the orientation of start/end/before/after, but the value
can't be changed on fo:block from that on the containing area-container.

We are working on clarifying this in the next draft.

At 17:00 1999-10-04 GMT, you wrote:
>Why does the description for fo:block (section 4.4.1 in the current
>XSL WD) list writing-mode as one of its properties? An fo:block
>supposedly generates a block-area, not an area-container, and section
>3.4.6 contains the following sentence:
>
>"A block-area's 'writing-mode" is the same as the writing-mode of the
>immediated containing area-container."
>
>-Steve Schafer

This e-mail reflects the opinion of the Editor of the XSL (formatting
   objects) Specification. This is my interpretation of the
   current (majority) opinion of the portion of the XSL-WG that
   is working on formatting objects. It may not reflect the opinions
   of all members of the XSL-WG or even of all members of the portion
   of the WG that is working on the formatting objects. It is subject
   to change.
Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
official position of Adobe Systems, Inc.
  Stephen Deach                       |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)               |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                  |  Mail Stop E15-420
  sdeach@xxxxxxxxx                    |  345 Park Ave
  xsl-editors@xxxxxx                  |  San Jose, CA 95110-2704