Re: XSL FO how to make things go. Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format

Subject: Re: XSL FO how to make things go. Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format
From: jeremy@xxxxxxxxx (Jeremy H. Griffith)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:28:53 GMT
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:38:37 +0800, "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>To set a field one uses a "running-field-set" element with the name of the
>field in the "name" attribute and the value of the field the contents of the
>element.
>
>To retrieve a field one uses a "running-field" empty element with the name
>of the field in the "name" attribute and another attribute "which" which
>takes the value "first" or "last" which indicates which value of the field
>on that page to take.

Excellent proposal.  This is the model used in FrameMaker, among others.
I would add one more attribute value for "which", based on the repeated
requests for it from FrameMaker users: "start", which differs from "first"
in that it uses the value in effect at the very start of the page. Thus
"start" is the same as the "last" of the previous page, unless the "set"
element is the very first element on the page (or there is no preceding
page), in which case "start" is the same as "first".

>As I said at the start, there are problems with this. A more general
>solution is needed and I hope it will be in XSL eventually.

What problems do you perceive?

  (jeremy@xxxxxxxxx)  http://www.omsys.com/