Re: XSLT namespace URI change

Subject: Re: XSLT namespace URI change
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:08:33 +0700
Edd Dumbill wrote:

> I note the change in the XSLT namespace URI from
>
> http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0

> http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
>
> I'm glad to see the version number go into an attribute,  and I note
> that the PR says that 1999 indicates the year the W3C allotted the
> namespace <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#xslt-namespace>.
>
> Does this also mean that http://www.w3.org/2000/XSL/Transform is a valid
> and completely distinct namespace?

It would be a completely distinct namespace.

> Or does it imply there is a
> connection between all the namespaces http://www.w3.org/*/XSL/Transform?

No connection.

> If version 1.1 is released in 2000 will the namespace URI change, or
> will XSLT's namespace URI retain 1999 forever?

1.1 would use the same namespace URI (i.e. using 1999 rather than 2000),
except in the unlikely event that there were changes so drastic that
XSLT 1.0 processors would be able to do nothing useful with 1.1
stylesheets.

> Apart from preserving a bit of history, does having the year in the
> namespace serve a function?

The W3C seems to believe that it assists them in the long term
management of the www.w3.org site. It is the W3C not the XSL WG that is
responsible for the choice of namespace URI. My personal opinion is that
it's rather confusing.

> Is this pattern going to be made explicit in a recommendation for all
> namespace URIs, or is it merely a suggestion?

It appears to be W3C policy for W3C namespace URIs to include at least a
year.

James