Announcing SAXON 4.7

Subject: Announcing SAXON 4.7
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:25:20 +0100
SAXON 4.7 is available at http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/

This version implements the 8 October 1999 xslt and xpath specifications.

Full conformance details, and information about changes since the previous
version, are available on the site. Highlights are:-

XSL features implemented for the first time: namespaces, xsl:import,
xsl:apply-imports, xsl:output, numeric sorting, element extensibility,
xsl:fallback, literal result element as stylesheet, disable-output-escaping.

Other enhancements: control over output encoding, improved HTML generation,
user-defined output handlers; improved diagnostics; new API for extension
functions (modelled on the API in xt); a "preview mode" for handling
documents too large to fit in memory; "SQL stylesheets" as an example of
element extensibility (allowing data to be loaded into a relational
database); a nodeset() function to convert a result tree fragment to a
nodeset, making it available for further processing; integration with James
Tauber's FOP processor.

The SAXON XSL compiler has slipped behind in functionality, so I decided to
leave it out of this release; in future I will probably release it
independently of the interpreter.

Several users have asked for a mailing list for SAXON queries and comments,
so I have set one up at http://saxon.xsl.listbot.com/ As always, technical
support is not guaranteed.

Mike Kay