Re: Multiple Output Documents with XSLServlet

Subject: Re: Multiple Output Documents with XSLServlet
From: "Clark C. Evans" <clark.evans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:33:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Kirk V. Hastings wrote:
> I knew it was a dumb question, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a
> better approach to generating frames with a servlet. I've implemented the
> method you suggested (passing a parameter to control what templates are
> used) and it works very well. However I worry that the inherent
> inefficiency of this approach is going to be a problem when I go live with
> my "document navigator". I suppose if I cache the stylesheet that will help
> a little, but XT is still going to have to be fired up three times for each
> view of the document...

Kirk,

It would not be hard to modify the XSLServlet to "cache"
the other document-parts and then deliver them to the
user in the same session.  Thus, you run XT once, but
the XSLServlet gets hit three times.   I've already
done some significate modifications to the servlet
to get it to work with Apache's jserv.    Currently I'm
now in the process of modifying it to accept the stylesheet
(and perhaps mandatory parameters) as part of the URL and
not the query string using rewriting.

Clark