<xsl:when> Problems (with IE5)

Subject: <xsl:when> Problems (with IE5)
From: oberthier@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:15:10 +0100 (CET)
For the creation of a prototype transforming XML into XSL on the
client, I'm currently trying the following:

  - I'm having an XML document containing an element with a
    value inside.
    E.g. <item1>VALUE1</item1>

  - I would like to produce an HTML output containing a
    selection list with the text of the item1 currently
    selected by default in the list.
    E.g. <select>
           <option value="VALUE1" selected>THE VALUE 1</option>
           <option value="VALUE2">THE VALUE 2</option>
         </select>

  - In a template for the element item1, I'm using for this
    purpose the following XSL fragment:
         <select>
           <option value="VALUE1">
             <xsl:attribute name="selected">
               <xsl:choose>
                 <xsl:when test=".='VALUE1'">true</xsl:when>
                 <xsl:otherwise>false</xsl:otherwise>
               </xsl:choose>
             </xsl:attribute>
             THE VALUE 1
           </option>
           <option value="VALUE2">
             <xsl:attribute name="selected">
               <xsl:choose>
                 <xsl:when test=".='VALUE2'">true</xsl:when>
                 <xsl:otherwise>false</xsl:otherwise>
               </xsl:choose>
             </xsl:attribute>
             THE VALUE 2
           </option>
          </select>

The result seems fine under some of the XSL parsers I've used,
however I don't manage to make the test attribute work as
expected with IE5, which is the browser in which I'm intending
to build the prototype mentioned.

Any help on making the test attribute above check the content
of the current element against a given string in such a simple
and standard way that I would have the same result with IE5
and the parsers following the latest recommandation?

Thanks in advance,

Olivier.