RE: sax getLineNumber under saxon

Subject: RE: sax getLineNumber under saxon
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:06:24 +0100
Thanks Michael.
<heavy-underline>certain people</heavy-underline>
didn't think that line numbers were relevant <satisfied grin/>
when you could x-link to the offending line.

I have to agree with that approach to some extent,
but I'm certainly used to using line number / file
combinations for error reporting.

OK, unless I get any other responses, I guess I'll
have to wait for the next version of Saxon.

Any response from the editors?

>> I'm trying to output the line number of an 'error'
>> (according to schematrons definition) in the XML
>> source file (with a weak comprehension of java<grin/>)
>>
>A very reasonable request and one which really ought to be a
>core function
>in XSLT.
  <SNIP/>
>I shall consider making line-number and system-id available as SAXON
>extension functions, and also extending the extension function
>API to make
>Context available.
>> On the wish list,

>SAXON's own error messages and trace output should identify
>the file/entity
>correctly, but the information isn't made available to your XSL code.

Surely the file name is equally as important as the line number
(almost pointless without it?) when locating an 'error' ?

Regards, DaveP