Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: oberthier@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:23:06 +0100 (CET)
John is right, I'm having in mind what he calls "customizable
data-entry forms and such, which would vary with the content
being collected". I originally had a look at XUL, however, and
as far as I understood, the purpose is only to have a language
describing the UI (its menus and dialogs typically) and not
to implement it directly.

The two solutions I went through and that I was trying to
briefly describe in my original thread (HTML/DSO/XML and
XML/XSL/HTML) are trying to do this.

Maybe to rephrase the idea, the flow of the application would be
something like this:

1. On the server, the XML data file is prepared from the content
   of several RDBMS table.
2. The user receives in its browser this XML document and a way
   to render it.
3. The user then enters the data he wants into various fields
   (each of them having its own validation and event handling,
   for instance implemented in JavaScript if we keep the
   browser idea). All those changes are automatically updating
   the XML document locally.
4. When finished, the user is submitting the updated XML data
   back to the server which will update the database tables
   accordingly.

My current interest is mainly on steps 2. and 3., 1. and 4.
starting to be easy to address on an application server, or at
least people are obviously working on it at the moment (see the
recent XML server debate on this list).

Olivier.