FO: borders and background for inline areas

Subject: FO: borders and background for inline areas
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 01:36:11 +0300
Hi!

Question: what is the right way for drawing a border around
one word in a text with XSL Formatting Objects?

A spontaneous answer would be:

    <fo:inline-sequence border="thin solid black">
        word
    </fo:inline-sequence>

but it is stated in the WD that <fo:inline-sequence> does not produce
any area, and serves only as a carrier to specify inheritable properties.
So the solution is wrong: 'border' is not allowed on inline-sequences.

One more solution is:

    <fo:bidi-override direction="ltr" border="thin solid black">
        word
    </fo:bidi-override>

which is correct but weird: we are far beyond the scope
of <fo:bidi-override>. I have an impression this is kinda
abusive.

I have a strong feeling that XSL FO lacks an object whose
central task is to bind arbitrary inlines into a single
inline-area. Am I right? If yes, what is the suggested
temporary solution at the moment for problems like the
one above:

- stick to <fo:bidi-override>;
- extend <fo:inline-sequence> semantics, making it create an area;
- invent a fresh element as a proprietary extension?

Regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev,
RenderX