Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:30:59 +0000 (GMT)
Clark C. Evans writes:
 > An alternative would allow for multiple output streams,
 > with a feedback mechanism; so that the output of a first
 > stage can be fed back into the system for a second stage.
 > For many cases, an aggregator combined with a hash table
 > would do the trick.

perhaps I miss something here, but how do you propose  to handle
forward references? When I say <ptr target="foo">, I want to display
the title of the section whose ID is "foo". But then I want it to say
"Section 33 (We go to sea)" or "Appendix 33 (We go to see)", depending
on whether <div id="foo"> is a child of <back> or not. Its not clear
to me how multiple output streams handle this and

 > Yep!  In the case of a cross reference or index, a string
 > oriented aggregator could be used (concatination instead
 > of addition).
I think I dont understand that at all.....

but perhaps I am in your 10%?

 > What is your candid thoughts?  If I could find someway to
 > fund a stream-based XSL processor (using a limited syntax)
 > would you think it would be useful to research?

oh lord, please don't propose a cutdown XSL, just when its all looking
so nice....

Sebastian