RE: preceding-sibling on sorted nodes

Subject: RE: preceding-sibling on sorted nodes
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:37:58 -0000
> When sorting using XT the preceding-sibling axis seems to
> operate on the nodes in source tree order not in sorted order.  Is this
> correct behavior?

Yes, it's correct.

> I'm not sure how to workaround this, since I'm trying to do
> grouping after sorting and using preceding-sibling is the only way I know
of to do
> grouping.

Doing sorting and then grouping the sorted result is not easy. SAXON has a
proprietary feature to do it, called saxon:group, but of course many people
don't want to stray outside the standard. I think there are examples on one
of the tutorial sites, or in the archives of this list, showing how to do it
using a recursive call-template approach. But beware, this may not perform
well!

Mike Kay