Accessing the XML declaration, the namespace-uri() function

Subject: Accessing the XML declaration, the namespace-uri() function
From: Dylan Walsh <Dylan.Walsh@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:30:27 -0000
Is it possible to somehow access the attributes of the <?xml
version="1.0"?> tag? I'm trying to create a stylesheet that will
generate a HTML view of any XML code, and I'd like it to begin with the
<?xml version="1.0"?> tag. So I was planning to write out something
like:
&lt;?xml
then insert the attribute names & their values then close the tag:
?&gt;

I've gotten this approach working for other processing instructions, but
is it possible with the XML declaration, and if so, how? Are they
attributes of the root node, or does "The XML declaration is not visible
to the XSL processor" mean it is truly impossible?

Would it be safe to assume that the declaration is always <?xml
version="1.0"?> and hard code it, i.e.:
&lt;?xml version="1.0"?&gt; ?

Also, does the namespace-uri() function work in XT? The XT webpage says
that namespace *axes* aren't supported, but what about the function? I
can't get it to produce anything (using <xsl:value-of
select="namespace-uri()> ).