newbie questions (was RE: Hello)

Subject: newbie questions (was RE: Hello)
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:55:29 -0700
Deepa Subramanian wrote:
> Is XSLT something I need to download as an extension to XSl ?

No. XSLT is the transformation portion of XSL. You should read one or both
of the following:

The XSL Chapter from Elliotte Rusty Harold's XML Bible is a very good free
resource. It is located at
http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/updates/14.html

Crane Softwrights Ltd has a nice tutorial called Practical Transformation
Using XSLT and XPath, which I found extremely helpful. Part of it is free,
but the whole thing will cost you 40 dollars (US). It's well worth it, IMHO.
You get free updates.
http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/training/index.htm#ptux

Also, Miloslav Nic has provided 85 code samples demonstrating basic and
advanced concepts in his online resource at
http://zvon.vscht.cz/HTMLonly/XSLTutorial/Books/Book1/bookInOne.html

> Does this require a specific version of XSL/XML ? I was trying it with
Nescape 4.5.

Netscape has no support for XSL whatsoever. Mozilla may add some support for
it in the future. MS Internet Explorer 5.0 has limited support for a very
old, outdated version of XSLT. If you want to experiment with XSL, use an
XSL processing application to accomplish the transformations you want,
outside of a web browser.