RE: <% ... %> and html output method

Subject: RE: <% ... %> and html output method
From: Mark Hayes <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:18:27 -0800
> From: Steve Muench [mailto:smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> | When I use XSLT with the html output method, often I'm
> actually producing
> | JSP files.  In the currently shipping versions of JSP, the
> JSP file cannot
> | be a valid XML document because the use of <%, <%= and %>
> in JSP files
> | really is necessary for directives as well as script snippets.
>
> This isn't true. JSP 1.0 defines XML-friendly equivalents of
> every non-XML-friendly syntax like: <%=, <%, etc.
>
> <jsp:directive.xxx>
> <jsp:scriptlet>
> <jsp:expression>
> etc.

Thanks for the correction, you're right.  However, I'm stuck with JSP 0.92
for the time being, which does not support these.  (I'm using Netscape
Application Server, which still supports JSP 0.92 only.)

But you motivated me to read the JSP 0.92 documentation again, and it looks
like I can use:

<h1>
<SCRIPT RUNAT="server">
request.write(request.getParameter("title"));
</SCRIPT>
</h1>

Which is a little bit better than my option #1.

thanks,
mark