Re: Difficulty with ISO-8859-1 encoding

Subject: Re: Difficulty with ISO-8859-1 encoding
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:42:38 GMT
   Whoops I made a mistake in my first post, the 'cent' is actually
   ISO-8859-1 in the 1st instance of the DTD, i.e.:

Each external entity will may have its own encoding, so the DTD file
will be read with utf8 encoding (and generate the error you quote)
unless it starts off

It is normally better to use numeric character entities in the dtd
so they don't depend on the parser supporting any particular encoding.

> If I use UCS it works OK - unfortunately most the real DTD's I have to
> work with use ISO-8859-1...
well tough, they must be SGML DTD files, so you'll have to save local
XML compliant copies of them (even if the only change is to add an
encoding decl)

David