Re: XML/XSL -> PDF

Subject: Re: XML/XSL -> PDF
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:02:28 +0000 (GMT)
WEU, Udo Weigl writes:

 > does anyone have experience in transforming XML/XSL to PDF ? I tried FOP
 > from James Tauber, but the implementation of formatting objects is very
 > incomplete (absence of Tables and multi columns).

you can expect rapid progress on this, now that its moved to
Apache. lots of people are beavering away - lets hope James can keep
them under control

 >  I visited http://www.renderx.com/, but there product "FO2PDF"
 >  isn't available yet
they do not plan to make it available stand alone, unless their view
has changed.

My <a href="http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex/";>PassiveTeX</a>
shows how you can implement XSL FOs using TeX. This is primarily of
interest to people who a) have TeX set up already, and/or b) need access
now to some of the functionality that comes for free (something like
multi-lingual hyphenation, or math). When FOP will get Finnish
hyphenation, I could not say....

Anyway, XSL FO is an unfinished spec; it would seem highly unwise to
build a great deal on it. It doesn't seem to have moved for 5 or 6
months, maybe that means they are near a new version :-}

Sebastian