Using parameters in Attribute Value Templates

Subject: Using parameters in Attribute Value Templates
From: r.mcarthur@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:02:41 -0500
I'm having a problem using parameters in Attribute Value Templates for the
<xsl:sort> tag, and I'm sure that someone else has already done this.

The XSLT REC Nov 99 shows the order attribute of <xsl:sort> as:

<xsl:sort
   <<snip>>
   order = { "ascending" | "descending" }

 This would indicate that order is an attribute value template that can take
the string value ascending or descending.  However, I can't seem to make an
<xsl:param> evaluate to either of these strings.

<xsl:param name="orderby">descending</xsl:param>

<xsl:apply-templates>
   <xsl:sort select="....some expression..." order="{$orderby}" />
</xsl:apply-templates>

This will sort my nodes based upon the 'select' attribute, but will always
use the default 'order' value of "ascending".  I have tried many variations
of the 'order=' statement, as well as putting the param within single and
double quotes.

What is wrong with my syntax?

Thanks in advance,

Rob McArthur