Re: String-length

Subject: Re: String-length
From: Phil Lanch <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:09:17 +0000
Alternatively, use a named template to collect (nodes containing) the
numbers you want to add up in a variable, and apply the sum() function
to them. The tricky bit is that the variable contains a result-tree
fragment, not a node list, and the sum() function must be given a
node-list, so you need to convert the result-tree fragment to a
node-list using a node-set() extension function. This is available in
Saxon or XT (and it looks such a good idea that surely all good XSL
processors will have it eventually).

This kind of use of apply-templates or call-template inside a variable
is often an alternative to recursive named templates.

So in Saxon that would be:

  xmlns:sxf="/com.icl.saxon.functions.Extensions" version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="para">
  <xsl:variable name="lengths">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="preceding-sibling::para|."
mode="length"/>
  </xsl:variable>
 This para contains: <xsl:value-of select="string-length()"/>
 Total from para number 1 to <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>:
<xsl:value-of select="sum(sxf:node-set($lengths)/length)"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="para" mode="length">
  <length><xsl:value-of select="string-length()"/></length>
</xsl:template>

and in XT you need to declare the xmlns:xt="http://www.jclark.com/xt";
namespace and change sxf:node-set to xt:node-set.

--

cheers

phil

"that monotonous state of the soul halfway between fulfillment
and futility which comes with life in the country" --- Musil