RE: for-each and variables

Subject: RE: for-each and variables
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:23:21 -0000
> Can anyone tell me why the following will not work?
It will work, it's just that it will do what the spec says and not what you
would like :-)

> XSL
>  <xsl:variable name="temp">data/row</xsl:variable>
>
> the output says "cannot convert to
> node-set".

You have assigned the variable temp to the string "data/row" (actually to a
result tree fragment containing this string, but that's academic in this
case), not to the result of the XPath expression data/row. You have then
tried to use this string in a context where a nodeset is required. What you
meant to say was:

<xsl:variable name="temp" select="data/row"/>

Mike Kay