Re: Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.

Subject: Re: Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.
From: "Sean O'Dell" <sean@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:51:44 -0800
> At 15 Dec 1999 17:13 -0500, Douglas Weed wrote:
>  > Thanks for the replies.  The issue I am having is not related to the
>  > intepretation of the entities as unicode vs bytes.  The encoding is
double
>  > byte and the characters I am trying to get into the HTML are placed in
the
>  > XSL, along with the other HTML tags.  What I really need is a way to
>  > 'escape' the &#XXX;&#XXX; decimal references so that the parser will
not try
>  > to interpert them as either ASCII or Unicode.  Instead it will place
them in
>  > the output stream, as is.  The target browser, obviously not one of the
big
>  > 2, has a special code page which will translate the two entities into 1
>  > double byte image.  The code page is similar to WingDings found in the
true
>  > type fonts on Windows. Thanks again for the replies.
>
> You don't have a way to "escape" decimal references.  By definition,
> numeric character references are to Unicode characters.
>
> Another option is to use code values from the Private Use area for
> your special characters (although there is a Unicode character for
> your example character) then translate the Private Use code value to
> your magic byte sequence after you've done the XSL transformation.

But wouldn't it be nice to have something written into the spec that lets an
entity remain "untransformed" no matter how many times its passed through a
parser?  Something that says, "yes, this is a unicode or special character,
but don't convert it, just leave it as I've given it to you."  Something
that *could* be understood as unicode or special character, but is left
alone except by parsers that *explicitly* know to go ahead and convert the
character?  Such parsers most likely being the browser in which the final
output of the document is shown.

Meaning, if I use XSL to transform an XML document into yet another XML
document which is then again transformed using XSL into a final HTML
document, that first step pretty much converts the entity into its
unicode/special character and spits it out as such into the second XML
document, losing its status as an "entity" that would ultimately be needed
by the final HTML document.

    -Sean

---
Celtech Software           Making advanced software easy and fun to use
    www.celsoft.com           info@xxxxxxxxxxx
    818-347-2875