Has anybody started working on an XPath API yet?

Subject: Has anybody started working on an XPath API yet?
From: Khun Yee Fung <kyeefung@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:13:36 -0500
Just wondering, has anybody started working on an XPath API specification
yet? I would love to be part of the effort doing whatever is needed. What I
have been thinking for the last two months is something along this line:

1.	An API for XPath that allows different representations of the XML
tree to be passed in. In this way, only a wrapper is needed to allow DOM to
be used. Since it does not exclude other representations, even proprietary
tree structures can be used, as long as they are wrapped in a compliant
interface.
2.	The API should allow passing in a string to represent the XPath, and
also allows more primitive operations to be applied to the XML tree.

My aim is to allow XPath to be used for XML documents in any form, including
in files or as an XML database, without using any proprietary query engine.

The second point is quite important in my view. An execution engine for
XPath expressions is so much more flexible than an engine that interprets
expressions in strings only.

Regards,
Khun Yee Fung