text() children

Subject: text() children
From: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:21:45 -0000
With the following xml

(<a href="mailto:davido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>davido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>) and
Kai Matthews with scientific review by Dr. Karl M. Johnson.

more information about Ebola, please visit <a href=
"http://www.outbreak.org";>http://www.outbreak.org</a>.</p>

I need to process the text content of div (and the a element)

I have
 <xsl:for-each select="div">
      <level1 class="chapter">
	<xsl:apply-templates/>
      </level1>
    </xsl:for-each>

<xsl:template match="div/text()[1]">
 </xsl:template>

Hoping to add the text beginning 'Primary contributions...'
to the output tree.

What I'm actually getting is

<level1 class="chapter">
Kai Matthews with scientific review by Dr. Karl M. Johnson.

more information about Ebola, please visit <a
href="http://www.outbreak.org";>http://www.outbreak.org</a>.</p>
</level1>

Is there something strange about the numbering of the text() children?
I seem to be getting the second part (beginning 'and Kai....'
but not the first block of text.

Any help appreciated, DaveP