Why is call-template name a QName (was RE: Trouble with XT??)

Subject: Why is call-template name a QName (was RE: Trouble with XT??)
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:18:01 -0700
Michael Kay wrote:
> The name attribute of xsl:call-template must be a QName, not an XPath
> expression.

Why was this restriction imposed here, and why is it not even under
consideration for review for future versions of XSLT?

I'm trying to think of reasons why not, and all I can come up with is that
there is no precedent in XSLT for dereferencing the names of variables or
templates.

On the other hand, it seems like it would be safe because a QName (the name
of a template) can't begin with '$', and there is a precedent for using the
string value of the result of an XPath expression for something (xsl:sort
select="...").

I'm sure I'm overlooking something.